Sunday 27 May 2012

Lone Survivor


About a week ago, I saw the SEAL Trident on a the face of a book at one of the book stores in the mall. As it turns out, it was the cover of Lone Survivor, the account of Operation Red Wings from the only surviving SEAL involved, Marcus Luttrell. I didn't have the chance to start it till a couple days ago, but ever since I picked it up, I couldn't put it down.

Marcus starts off with a brief explanation of his early life, BUD/S (for any of us SEAL hopefuls out there, any information you can get from a guy who's been through the ordeal is invaluable) and his initial experience of life as a SEAL when he joined the teams.

Then, comes the story of Operation Red Wings. From insertion, to where it all when wrong. It's the gripping account of true heroism in the face of death. The love of one brother warrior for another. The desire of patriots, and the ferocity of the warrior elite. The struggle to stay alive, for the single surviving member of the mission. 

The more I read about Mikey, Danny and Axe, the more my hands started to shake in awe of these great men. Meet any one of their SEAL brothers on the streets today, and they'd doubtlessly give the same response as those fallen heroes: "Just doing my job, no recognition required". Truly amazing.

This is a MUST READ.




Iceman out.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a few years ago - you are right, it is a must read.

    You have a nice blog going. I love things military and especially anything with aviation.

    ReplyDelete